Steve is awesome!

Comments

• Hey @StevenWood... You did it!  Welcome to your SANE Family! :smiley:
  • Wednesday_SANECoach
    edited January 2018
    Love the name of your journal :joy: !! Welcome @StevenWood , can't wait to hear about your awesome SANE adventures :smiley:

• Welcome to SANE, @StevenWood!  And I agree, Steve *IS* awesome :smiley:
  • Thank you everyone for making me feel welcome. I've got a ton of homework to do with this stuff! @Raina_SANECoach @Christine_SANECoach @Wednesday_SANECoach

• Fabulous @StevenWood... We had a great call today and you are already moving well in the right direction :smiley: You've got this!! And we are here to help every step of the way!! :heart::star:
  • Hello there @StevenWood!  Welcome!  You are going to love it here!  
  • Hello @StevenWood! Welcome to the SANE family! :smiley:
  • Thank you, @Debora_SANECoach ! I’ve been taking a peak at a list of all the non-starchy vegetables because I haven’t a clue what that even means. I will say this, I’m going to try me some rutabaga, just because it’s fun to say! 
  • Hi @StevenWood. Welcome aboard. I'm a member like you, not a SANECoach, but I've been SANE a full year now. Yay! I know what you mean when you say there's homework. Ha! I've found I love to do homework (and learn) when there are no horrible tests or term papers with consequences. :smiley:

You are on a great team with @Christine_SANECoach and the whole family here. Come say hello on my journal, when you get a chance. :heart:
  • Hey @StevenWood. Remember veggies that are green, purple, orange, red etc like lettuce greens, carrots, peppers of all colors, cabbage, pea pods, zucchini , cucumbers, onions, mushrooms etc so so so many are nonstarchy.  I sent u a list and u have access to all this info in your first Sane lessons resources too.  Just let me know when u have questions. :smiley:
  • @Christine_SANECoach I made dinner tonight for the first time in about four years. My first home cooked SANE meal attempt. I’m not sure if it’s accurate but it’s a first attempt. I couldn’t have done it without you! That’s Stuffed Peppers made with lean ground turkey (free range!/cooked in extra virgin olive oil- it’s all that was in the house. Bad?) and organic riced cauliflower topped with a little bit of organic marinara sauce (least amount of sugar I could find 3g) Then we’ve got a side salad with spinach, peas, string beans, broccoli, a handful of walnuts and less than a handful of feta cheese with some kind of vinegrette dressing I’ve never tried before. If I’m honest, I probably put too much dressing on when I ate it.  And to drink some sparkling mineral water with sliced lime. Everything was delicious. So good, I’m almost worried I did it wrong. Hahaha Let me know what you think? 
  • @StevenWood that is SANEsational!!!!  Well done. I'm so happy for you and proud of you!  You didnt just take information and sit on it... You are practicing it!! :smiley: superb!!  You planned/prepped and did 1/2 plate non-starchy veggies, 1/4 plate lean protein, some whole food fat, smart marinara purchase and a whole lotta flavor!  AND you really enjoyed the meal... Yes!  This is a great example of how SANE meals can be delicious and easy to do. Keep playing with your food and having fun! :heart::smiley: Sane Success - great progress!
  • @StevenWood well done indeed! To make spaghetti sauce shopping easier instead of looking at the nutrition facts, I look at the ingredients.  I make sure there are just simple ingredients, no soybean oils or other oils listed other than olive oil, and no sugar/fructose/hfcs/other sweeteners.  If the ingredients on the jar look like a recipe and don't have inSANE ingredients, it is good to go!  Then you can take a picture on your phone on your phone so the next time you don't have to spend all your time looking at the back labels to buy another one ;)
    Have fun going SANE!
  • Well done @StevenWood. Delicious is so important to continuing sane, and keeping it going (aka consistency) is a big deal. 

:star: for realizing probably too much dressing. 
    :heart: suggestion for next time: omit the peas. NSV (non-starchy vegetables) are the other ones you used like your spinach, string beans and broccoli- also cabbage, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, radishes, romaine, carrots, celery, onions, scallions etc. Omit peas, beans, potatoes, and corn when you want NSV. 

GREAT JOB on WFF nuts. Other WFF I use a lot: 
    2 eggs
    1/4 C SANE Mood boosting Cocoa
    6-12 olives (depending on size. Basically 9-12g fat in the serving)
    2T unsweetened organic.Coconut flakes.  
    Coconut milk 
    Flax Bread, homemade. Recipe from Wednesday SANE Coach. If you search for it in the "magnifying glass search spot" you will find it.

CHEERS for your PROGRESS!!! :sunglasses:  
  • @StevenWood For someone who hasn’t cooked in 4 years I think you did pretty awesome! :smiley:
  • How was your weekend @StevenWood?  And how ya doin today?  :smiley:
  • Hey @Christine_SANECoach ! I’m doing awesome. I ate the last of my leftovers for lunch a few hours ago. I am going to head to the store in a little while to go food shopping and prepare dinner. I’m going to attempt salmon and asparagus tonight with a salad. I’ve spent most of my weekend cleaning my room and organizing it. I’ve always cleaned up but gave up 90% of the way in. I have had a “miscellaneous” pile in my bedroom for years and major areas like my bookshelf I never dusted. Today I went all the way. The miscellaneous pile is finally gone. There isn’t dust anywhere in my bedroom. It’s immaculate! I’ll post a pic of dinner when it’s done. I need to jump in the shower and shave now. Talk to you soon! 
  • Fabulous @StevenWood... Looks great! Glad u r doing well. I love the salmon and asparagus idea. I often use tomatoes and asparagus together as a sweet side dish... Ooo you're making my mouth water... Yum! :yum:
  • @Christine_SANECoach I made the salmon and asparagus with salad. It came out great. I really was surprised at how simple it was and how flavorful it was with just lemons, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. I loved the salmon. I made three days worth and the second day the salmon still tastes fantastic, but the asparagus lost a lot. The consistency or texture. Whatever it was, it was barely chewable. I actually had to spit it out and couldn’t eat the rest of the asparagus. So, I need to figure out a way to prepare the asparagus where it maintains its crunch and flavor. Basically how I did it was they came in a frozen bag. I put them in a pot of hot water to thaw them out. Then I placed them on a tin foil covered baking pan and put a little sea salt and drizzled them with organic extra virgin olive oil. And then let them roast in the oven with the salmon on the same baking pan. First night of it was fine. Maybe could’ve been crunchier to start that first night but it was unbearable the second night. Ideas? 
  • Welcome to SANE @StevenWood! Looks like your 2018 is off to a great start!
  • What a fabulous dinner @StevenWood. :yum:  what I do here for frozen asparagus is I only take out what I'm gonna eat and I just throw it on a tinfoil covered pan, drizzled with a little olive oil, sprinkle a little salt and pepper on it and bake it until it's just starting to get a little brown on the edges. Yum!    

Would doin it this way work for you to go along with "leftover" sumptuous salmon?
  • HOW TO LOVE YOURSELF IF YOU DON’T

Before I decided to go SANE, I asked around concerning weight loss. My interest was in finding someone who had lost 50 pounds or more and kept it off for 5 years or longer. At the time I had spoken to 8 people who fit those parameters. When asked, they all varied with their diets, their exercises, their methods and tricks, but the most common thing among them that came before their specific diet theory, before calorie counting, before portion control, before intermittent fasting, before logging exercise or meals- the two most common factors above all others was their long term psychology/mindset as well as a re-education about food. This was as common to everyone as staying active and exercise. They all had adopted an everlasting mindset of taking care of yourself (loving yourself) and that is more important than exercise. Without it, everything else stops. I did not always love myself. I do now. Learning how to love myself was a rather profound experience I had that has changed my life. The following is how I learned:

I want to share something that's incredibly personal to me. It's the story of the best smile I've ever had. It started when I realized that love is a verb (action word). I used to believe that love is merely the feeling you hold in your heart when you care for another's well-being. It's not. That feeling is where love comes from but love is really an action. We all know that saying, "I love you" means nothing. How you show love means everything. What I didn't know is that it's the same with self-love. You may think you have it because you can tell yourself that you care for your own well-being but that is not enough. You need to demonstrate it. If you do not demonstrate self-love, you don't have it. Love is a verb. I was single. In the dating world everyone hears that advice floating around: You cannot love someone else until you love yourself. I thought to myself, “what a crock of shit.” It got me so angry. It got me so angry because I wanted to find someone to love me. That's all I wanted. More than anything. I wanted to love and be loved. If they loved me back, maybe they could do for me what I couldn't do for myself. I wanted to find someone to love so much, more than anything. In my search for it, I began to take it to heart that you really can't love someone else until you love yourself. But I didn't know how to do it. How am I supposed to love me? I care if I'm doing well, but I don't like who I am, so how am I supposed to love that? When I looked in the mirror, I knew I didn’t like who I was. I had been so depressed that for months I didn’t even brush my teeth. This “you can’t love someone else until you love yourself” crap! I know how to love other people! I'll show I know how to love others! I made a list. It was a very long list. I made a list of all the ways I could demonstrate love toward another person. Forgive their mistakes if they are genuinely sorry for them, stand up for them if someone is trying to do them harm, make sure they're properly dressed if it's cold outside, fight for them if they're getting less than they deserve... See? I know how to love someone! This is how you love someone! I was so angry and passionate. I was over sixty ways deep into this list and then… it clicked… I could barely breathe. I swallowed and gasped for a breath of air. I don't do any of these things for me. If I do all of these things toward myself, is this how I will love myself? The pain of being alone was unbearable. I was desperate. I tried one thing on the list and it felt good. And then another. And I kept doing them. All the way down the list. I did them all for me. Day after day, week after week. I felt great. And eventually one day when I was brushing my teeth I stopped, I looked in the mirror and I felt something different when I saw myself. I looked down at my list of ways to demonstrate love, and then I tried one thing I hadn’t crossed off the list yet. I looked at myself in the mirror and said, "I love you". In that moment, I knew I wasn't lying. I knew I meant it. And I made the biggest smile you've ever seen. And that meant everything to me. Can't love someone else until you love yourself? Step aside, world! I'm ready to love! You should say "I love you" to the person you love but it's the last thing on the list you should do. The first is to demonstrate it in every way. You need to love yourself before you can love someone else. It's true. It's the same as putting on your oxygen mask first in the plane before you help another put on theirs. Your love won't survive if you don't do it to yourself first. When you do love yourself properly, you find that you wouldn't date so many people that you otherwise would have settled for. You see they don't really know how to love. Teaching someone how to do something they don't know how to do for themselves is on my list of how to love someone. I consider you my friend and out of an act of love, I say this to you: If you don't know how to love yourself, make that list of how to love someone else. Take the time to think it over and make it as long as you can. Remember it's a list on how to love someone else. Then do those things for yourself.

Now , concerning the people I mentioned earlier whom I spoke to that kept their weight off, they kept a consistent mindset of "I am going to take care of myself today" on a day to day basis. They say if you stop caring about yourself, you will gain all the weight you lose back. Adopting that mindset of self-care/self-love is more important than the smoothies, the recipes, the exercise, the books and all that stuff, because without it, everything stops.

With that said, I am grateful for Jonathan Bailor. Through his work, he has taught me how to take care of myself. It means the world. Thank you. 

Steven Wood

@JonathanBailor @Christine_SANECoach @Wednesday_SANECoach @Lori_SANECoach @Raina_SANECoach @HopeB @Debora_SANECoach @HelenDeweyReikofski @KeriEnriquez

• Wow, @StevenWood, well said. 
    I used to think, deep down, that counting my faults and keeping my inadequacies in mind all the time would help me be a better person.  No longer.  Now i am much better at seeing myself as my own best friend.  Seeing my strengths and faults the way a best friend would, suddenly there is a more spacious feel to the world, more ability to be present for other people.  
    And reading your post helps me look at this issue in terms of SANE self care, and i thank you for that.
  • Beautifully put @StevenWood!  So proud of you!  You are truly an inspiration here and we are blessed to have you here!  "Love IS an action word" :love:
  • Well said, @StevenWood. Actively forgiving myself and others is certainly in what you say! :heart:
  • Wow! @StevenWood first I love the name of your journal, second pictures of the dinners you have made look awesome and third your last post made me cry. What a beautifully written post. I struggle a lot in the self love department. One of the biggest reasons why I love @JonathanBailor is because he has so much compassion for the mindset part of this whole journey and understands how important that is. Thank you for sharing your intimate thoughts with us. 
  • @StevenWood...I am in complete awe of your authenticity in your post. Thank you for sharing this. I agree with you 100%. The mindset piece with the self-love is so critical. 

I wish you all the best on your SANE journey and look forward to more posts from you.
  • Wow..... @StevenWood! I wish I could click on “insightful” and “awesome” 100 times. 
  • StevenWood
    edited January 2018
    Not all heroes wear capes.