Cindy's SANE Journal

Comments

• Welcome to the SANE family @CindyMcLaughlin

• Welcome @CindyMcLaughlin ! So happy to have you join us!
  • CindyMcLaughlin
    edited April 2018
    I'm ready to start journaling as I know it will help.  It is a cold and rainy day in Northeastern Florida. And for the first time in what seems like years I feel happy and optimistic. Having my first veggie smoothie of the day and like it!

Today I am grateful for:
    • Rain - even if it makes for a cloudy day.
    • My ENT - for giving me hope for that my 59 yo rhinitis may be a thing of the past. Evidently I have had a marked deviated septum all of my  61 yo life and there are options!
    • The entire SANE Community  for the encouragement and a start on the next chapter of my life.
    My sister is having surgery on her feet today and I am praying for a good result and her to accept the recovery. She is 17 months younger and suffering from short term memory loss and is bipolar. Lord give us strength and peace as she recovers.
  • @CindyMcLaughlin Best of wishes to your sister - lots of strength to her, you, and everyone in your family <3
  • @Raina_SANECoach Thanks for the encouragement. There always welcome. 

• CindyMcLaughlin
    edited April 2018
    Today I am grateful for:

1.  Pain medication for my sister. Post-Op Day 2 
    2.  Green Smoothies <3  'em!
    3.  Being able to change my fitness goal from Getting Started to Feel Great

Another long day and late night due to sister's surgery and Mom's medical appointments this afternoon. Hope to be home and have dinner and dishes done before 8:30 pm as this would be a new record since the surgery.

Spoiler Alert: I am not complaining; merely explaining as an intro to a day in my life.

Did I mention that I am an unpaid caregiver for 3 relatives?  Sister is 59 with short term memory and personality problems stemming from an auto accident 42 years ago. Mom who is 85 and sharp as a tack but has lung cancer. Sister and Mom live together and are 10 miles from my home. Hubby is 74 and has multiple back issues/pain and a very unsteady gait. He lives with me.

I spend Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays & Sundays @/with Mom & Sister as well as 5 hours every third Saturday.  Friday & Mondays are set aside for all appointments for Hubby and me. Saturday is for all housekeeping and landscaping chores. Everyone I know thinks this is my Free Time/Me Time. Wish it were so but generally it is one busy hot mess of activity. 

• @CindyMcLaughlin like you, I am new-er to SANE family, and like you, I've been a caregiver. May peace fill you in the precious moments you have to yourself  <3
  • @gailTerry thanks for your encouragement. It really take a caregiver to know the experience. You make me feel less the odd duck out. 
  • More things that I am grateful for today:

Being home with dinner and dishes done in time to only be 4 minutes late to the class with @JonathanBailor tonight. Great answers to the questions raised. 

I will also pledge to record my food for the next two weeks. Most of time it will be here but due to more surgery, (for Mom this time) on Tuesday being online may not be possible but my food recording is possible.
  • So great to "see" you on the call tonight! I loved @HelenDeweyReikofski 's idea of taking a picture of what you write down for when you can't be online for easy sharing.  Good luck with this next surgery.  Is there anything we can do to help you keep your SANEity and sanity?!?
  • @Wednesday_SANECoach I had already forgotten that @HelenDeweyReikofski said this. Thanks for reminding me. 
  • Today I am Grateful for:

1. The extra half hour of sleep. (I am woefully short on sleep this week. Lots of extra night time calls from Sister after her foot surgery this week.)
    2. The sunshine and the chill in the air. I know soon it will be 90 degrees and 90% humidity here in Fernandina Beach, FL for the majority of 2018.
    3. SANE Green Meal Replacement Smoothies. I know that I already said this this week, but I  <3 'em especially when time in tight. They keep me full for hours.

Not certain how I got the 1. below, so please disregard.  ;)

• Breakfast Meal Replacement Green Smoothie
    2 handfuls of mixed greens
    2 T Garden in My Glass
    4 T Clean Whey Protein
    1 t  green tea
    1/3 t raw organic cassia cinnamon powder
    1 t raw undistilled apple cider vinegar (Bragg's)
    1/4 raw undutched Criollo cocoa powder
    4 grams erythriotol
    1 t Pure Hawaiian spiralina Pacifica powder
    2 cups filtered water 
    1/2 cup ice

It was a bit thin so next time I will use 1.5 cups water and 1 cup crushed ice.
    I scored this as 4 vegetables, 1 fat & 1 protein. Does this sound right? 

I was not hungry until 5 pm. Dinner is cooking so an update later.
  • @CindyMcLaughlin hurray for extra sleep
  • Dinner was 4 serving of collards cooked with 1/2 onion powder and ham better than broth bouillon and 12 oz of home-made rotisserie roasted pork loin with 1 T coconut oil for 1 pound of meat and dry rub consisting only of spices. Scored as 2 meat, 2 vegetables and 1 fat. 
  • CindyMcLaughlin
    edited April 2018
    Today I am Grateful for:

1. Laundered and freshly made bed. (And clothes, towels and rug.
    2. All floor sweep and cleaned.
    3. Corned beef and cabbage for dinner. (Drooling now.)
    4. Finally installing the SANE app and beginning to use it the past two days. (Now I can keep track of my homework this week a bit easier.)
    5. Thanks for the SANE team and especially @P@PaulMoore for help and encourgement.
  • Scored food on app but forgot to this here too so here goes.

April 14th  - veg 7,  protein 4, fat 3
    Coffee with 1 T coconut oil, 1/4 c cocoa,  4 grams erythriotol, 4 T whey and 1 T coconut milk.
    veg 0, protein 1, fat 1 (Should the fat have been more?)
    Green smoothie for breakfast as listed above but with spinach this time. 4 veg, 1 protein, 1 fat.
    12chicken wings made in air fryer for 40 at 400 degrees tossed in 2 T Franks hot sauce, large salad (hands full of mixed greens 8 cherry tomatoes, 1/8 cup diced cucumber and a 2 pinches shaved Parmesan cheese) topped with homemade blue cheese dressing. veg 3, 2 protein, fat 1 (or should it be 2?)

April 15 - veg 8, protein 4, fat 3
    Green smoothie for breakfast as listed above but with spinach this time. 4 veg, 1 protein, 1 fat.
    Roasted chicken 12 oz and  1.5 cups roasted Brussels sprouts. 2 veg, 2 protein, 1 fat.
    Roasted pork leftovers 4 oz and 1 cup cooked collards. 2 veg, 1 protein , 1 fat.

April 16  - veg 7, protein 3, fat 3, 1 fruit
    Baked Eggs (2 eggs, 1 t seasoning, 0.5 oz cheese 2 t cream) veg 0, protein 1, fat 1?
    Blackberry Blast Smoothie veg 4, protein 1, fat 1, fruit 1
    Corned Beef with braised cabbage, onions and carrots. veg 3, protein 2, fat 1.

• Today I can grateful for:

1. Cooler temperature overnight. It is in the 60's  :)
    2. Alarm clocks that have been set correctly. Often when I change my alarm time I also set it for pm instead of am. Not today!
    3. My green smoothie for breakfast which makes taking Mom in for her lung biopsy a bit less stressful.
  • Today I am grateful for:

1. Mom's biopsy going well & she is feeling better than expected.
    2. Sister's pre-surgery eye exam and a good family friend who is a nurse who took her to her appointment. What a blessing a true friend is!
    3. Forgot my cold component of my "go bag". Eat some insanity. But didn't allow myself to stew over it for too long. Main cafeteria was closed by the time Mom made it into her procedure so the snack shop and vending machine were my only choice. 
    Food 4/17/18 veg 9 protein, protein 3, fat 2
    Green meal replacement smoothie. veg 4, protein 1, fat 1
    sushi, pulled apart & scraped off. Ate as little rice as possible and all the seaweed cucumber and fish/shellfish. veg 1, 4 insanity
    chicken with breading removed & green beans. veg 1 protein 1.
    green meal replacement smoothie veg 4, protein 1, fat 1
  • I am grateful for:
    1. Pushing on even when I have another of my very bad terrible headaches due to sinus congestion. When I am like this all I want to do is take another antihistamine and sleep. (No worries as the ENT will see me again in 2 weeks and 2 days. I have had this problem for 59 years.
    2. Leftover cabbage, corned beef and smoked salmon with mustard sauce. Just couldn't face following a recipe tonight as little relief from my crazy head.
    3. Hubby came to dinner and actually spoke 4 sentences. (I can't even begin to explain this unless you give me 2 plus hours for the short version.) Progress is progress...so I'll take it.
    Food 4/18/18  veg 8, protein 3.5, fat 3

I had craving for eggs this morning after being off eggs since Lent started earlier this year.  So 2 coddled eggs with 1 teaspoon cream, salt pepper, paprika and garlic with 1/4 cup mushrooms sauteed in 1 t coconut oil. Baked at 400 for 12 minutes. Served with Cindy's Coffee (coffee with 2 t coconut oil 1/8 c cocoa powder, 4 grams erythritol, 1 t powdered vanilla, 1 t cinnamon and 1 T coconut milk.  veg 1, protein 1, fat 1 

4 oz blackened scallops with 1/2 cup okra and tomatoes and all the kale I could scavenge from all 6 of my tablemates maybe 1/2 c raw. Traded for my 2 hushpuppies for this goodness. vegs 2, protein 1, fat 1 

4 oz salmon, 3 cups cooked cabbage, and 4 oz corned beef, 2 handful salad with 1/4 raw mushrooms and homemade blue cheese dressing.  veg 5?, protein 2 and fat 1

Any and all ideas of the correct way to score this food are welcome.
  • I am grateful for:
    1. My Sister saying, "I didn't used to love you but now I do." Absolutely Fabulous! (Sister has both frontal lobe damage, bipolar and short term memory problems.  So she is not always the most kind person. This brought me to tears. This one is going in my memory book.
    2. Finishing all the financial paperwork for Sister's expenses. 
    3. Having lunch al fresco with the dogs, Mom & Sister. Onl 30% humidity today! 
    Food scoring for 4/19/18
    Meal replacement green smoothie veg 4- protein 1 - fat 1
    Dry rub baby back ribs 6 oz so I am thinking is is like 3 oz without bones. 1 cup collards braised and a salad garden salad with olive oil & vinegar. veg 3? -protein 1 - fat 1
    Rotisserie roasted pork 8 oz, sheet pan roasted veggies (broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, celery, red peppers) 2 cups. Veg 2 - protein 2 and fat 1.
  • I am grateful for:

1. Being back from insanity breakdown from illness and stress. (Wish hubby could cook. No that will never happen. Fortunately for him, food is not one of his interests.)
    2. The internet! So that I could confirm that the call at early o'clock this about a data breach at her bank is real. 
    3. Going for a mani-pedi even if it is which Mom & Sister. (This and knitting are my indulgences that have nothing to do with food.)
    Breakfast mocha latte with a green meal replacement smoothie!
  • Welcome @CindyMcLaughlin. You started one of your post that said you weren't complaining but you can safely complain here if you want. There is no judgement here at all. When I read your post I thought to myself I would be complaining. Wow you certainly have a lot of responsibility for a lot of people. They are very lucky to have you. Sounds like a lot of very stressful work for you and I can see where cleaning and yard work would not be me time. I hope you can find some actual me time in there somewhere and take care of yourself from time to time. I am very glad you are here posting in your journal. 
  • @LeAneMartin thank you for your encouragement. There are times when I would like to complain and you may yet hear some of that. But in my reality I am more often than I care to admit all that there is for my family that is. I have always searched for the silver lining in order to keep going. Sometimes it does turn out to be a bit tarnished when one gets there. lol but I find it better than the alternative at least for me. Don't get me wrong. I am not really a PollyAnna. Ido have faith & without that I am nothing but a puddly. I did get a Mani/Pedi today so I occasionally do something completely selfish & very human. 
  • @CindyMcLaughlin - love the time out and spoiling yourself with a Mani/Pedi. I bet it felt wonderful! :)
  • I am grateful for:

1. The mani-pedi yesterday and how wonderful my toes look and feel! Yes, @SueJohnston for a few precious hours I left relaxed and pampered. Wonderful!
    2. 7 hours of glorious sleep! (My norm is 9, but it has been literally since 2010 that I last saw my norm.)
    3. My little dog, Abby, who is my constant shadow and a great snuggler.
    4. Dinner prepped for tonight with enough chicken to respice and reheat for a second meal later in the week.

• Today I am grateful for:

1. Allowing myself to take two mental health days off from caring for others for today and tomorrow. This is so hard for me to do, yet very necessary. I know from prior experience that losing my voice is a sign of either a budding sinus infection or exhaustion. This also happened last Friday so it is time to take the time. Planning of sitting outside reading and spray painting a chair that I have been trying to get to for weeks.
    2. Having chicken thighs and veggies ready to pop in the oven for a tray dinner tonight. Easy!
    3. Having a hubby who says are you feeling better?
  • @CindyMcLaughlin it's so important to take time for yourself and your own mental health! I think we all sometimes forget that. I hope your two days are pleasant and relaxing!