Spring's Journey to Sanity

I just joined Ignite today, though I've been working on going SANE for some time.  I have the Love Yourself Slim program which I've listened to a number of times.  I also finished rereading The Calorie Myth this weekend.  I'm working on improving my diet and getting my house cleaned up!!  I'm happy to say that I haven't had a drop of soda for over 6 weeks. \o/ In the process of cleaning my house, I found so many empty soda bottles, I filled the equivalent of 3 32 gallon bags with them.  Rather shocking.

The section on setting goals in the Love Yourself Slim program has been very helpful to me in the house-cleaning venture.  The kitchen is now more or less in operation now.  I still have to clean the cabinets and sort the stuff out in them, but I can now cook at home. :) Working on the dining room and living room right now.  My dining room table is buried, so I don't at present have an appropriate spot to eat at home.

I woke up ridiculously early this morning, but didn't eat anything until about noon.  Unfortunately, I didn't have any veggies with it. :(  Just an egg fried in coconut oil and some breakfast sausage.  Was yummy.  Have had lots of water today, but so far no other food.  Steaming some Brussels sprouts right now.  Wanted to do them earlier, but I got side-tracked taking down my Christmas tree.  Still sorting and putting away the ornaments.

I shall close this entry with a funny story from a couple months ago or so.  It was very late at night and I was thirsty.  My water thermos was hiding at the time, so I stopped at a gas station and bought a big, chilled bottle of water.  I cracked it open and drank about a third on the spot.  I said, "This stuff is habit forming." The customer - who happened to be a sheriff - then checking out turned, looked at what I had and gave me a funny look and said, "If you say so."  He probably thought I had alcohol or something. :)

Comments

• @SpringRyding - Welcome to Our SANE Family! :)
  • Welcome @SpringRyding and I'm looking forward to chatting with you this Monday to help you get started and show you how the Members Area works.
  • Hello Paul and Sue
  • My VERY late supper was a big salad consisting of romaine lettuce, Boston lettuce, purple cabbage, carrots, and some chopped kalamata olives that were in brine. I figure that this was about 5 servings of non-starchy veggies and 1 serving of whole food fat.  I also had about 1 cup of plain sheep milk yogurt with strawberries and blueberries, about a half serving of each fruit for 1 serving of low fructose fruits.  1 cup of the yogurt is 190 total calories: 108 from fat, 52 from protein, and 30 from carb.  Have no idea how to determine servings of fat or protein from that.
  • Welcome to the SANE Family @SpringRyding!!!
  • Thank you LaDawnP
  • @SpringRyding, welcome to SANE Ignite! It is good to have you here. Good job on the soda front and getting the kitchen operational. I found that after starting SANE I totally reorganized my pantry and cupboards so that my SANEr choses were the easiest for me (at 5"1") to reach so no excuses and no pulling out a stepstool. Unfortunately I still have some less than sane food in the house for Hubby who is slowly going SANEr without realizing it. :lol:

Happy adventuring!

• Thank you Cindy. I still have quite a bit of insane food here myself. I'll be spacing out some of the insane stuff in meals until it's gone. Other stuff will get tossed, such as the seasoned salt. Dad had bought that; I never use it and don't want to.

So, today was a work day.  Breakfast and lunch were at work.  I share meals with my client.  Breakfast got to a late start for various reasons, about 10:30 a.m. for her, more like 10:50 a.m. for me.  My breakfast was 1 slice of paleo bacon, 1 egg fried in the bacon grease, about 3 cups of sauteed bok choi.  I sauteed it in the remaining bacon grease and added water so it wouldn't burn.  It nearly burned anyway as I had to help my client to the bathroom partway through breakfast.  I caught it just in time though. 1/2 grapefruit, plain grassfed non-homogenized whole milk yogurt with 1 t. cinnamon stirred in, and a glass of grassfed non-homogenized whole milk.

Lunch was pork chop, about 4 cups of sauteed veggies, about 1/4 cup of fresh pineapple chunks, about 1/4 cup bing cherries, 1/2 a sweet potato = about 1 cup.  The sauteed veggies were an onion and a few big mushrooms I sliced and sauteed in olive oil today, then I added to that sauteed veggies that were left from last week and included savoy cabbage, shredded carrot, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, celery, broccoli, and cauliflower.  I think that's everything.

For some reason, I got hungry about 5:30 p.m.  I managed to resist the siren call of pastries and pizza.  I still haven't addressed the hunger, and it's now 8:30 p.m.

I wish I could find non-homogenized Greek yogurt.  So far, I haven't had any luck.  I can't do the homogenized stuff; I get sick.  I found a sheep's yogurt which is higher in protein than cow's regular yogurt, but isn't as high as the Greek yogurt apparently.  It has 13 grams protein per 1 cup serving, 12 grams fat, and 8 grams of carb 2 of which are sugar.

I did about a half-dozen sit squats to warm up before lifting my client.  Did a ton of walking back and forth in the house at work today.  I'se tired.  Doesn't help that I had a short night's sleep.  I was supposed to host garden leader hours tonight, but errands and exhaustion took care of that.  It was a lovely evening too.

Later with supper details once that occurs.

• So, supper was 2 big bratwursts (just the bratwursts, nothing else), and two stalks celery with 2 tablespoons grass fed non-homogenized sour cream.  I think this might be 1 whole food fat, 2 non-starchy veggies, and either one or 2 nutrient dense protein.  The brats were together a bit over the size of 2 of my palms.  I've never eaten sour cream before, but it's left from a recipe I tried last weekend.  I didn't think I'd like sour cream, but oddly, I do.  The recipe I tried needs some more tweaking. I'm trying my hand at making cream of mushroom soup to use in a casserole dish I make.
  • @SpringRyding, I love that you play with your food as one of the coaches is fond of saying. Experimentation or adapting recipes can be great fun and for me occasionally great! :lol:
  • Hi Cindy.  It's fun to play in the kitchen.  I'm anxious for my kitchen to be completely set up.  I have to defrost my chest freezer that's down in the basement.  That's gonna be a big job.  I'm hoping to get to it next month, but I'm not sure if I'll get to it that soon.  Have a lot of other tasks first.  Need to get my food cabinet emptied, cleaned, and sorted too.  That too is on hold until the floors in the dining room and living room are cleared.  Those are first because I need to sell my piano so I can replace my car so I can return my boss's car.  He asked me for a progress report today.

Bfast today was 1 slice paleo bacon, 1 egg fried in the bacon grease, about 3 cups bok choi cooked as yesterday, 1 glass grass fed, non-homogenized whole milk, 3/4 cup grass fed, non-homogenized whole milk yogurt with 1 tsp. cinnamon stirred in.

Lunch was some garlic Tuscan chicken which I'd fixed early August.  About 1 serving of chicken, 1/2 cup spinach, lamb's quarters, and mushrooms, and about 1/2 cup of sun dried tomatoes.  About 1/2 cup of the sauce which contains sheep Romano cheese, heavy whipping cream (grass fed), vegetable broth, and garlic.  Had about 1/3 cup muskmelon chunks, and 4 black grapes.

Supper will be a beef and veggie casserole.  Don't know exactly what will be in it.  I tend to throw stuff together. There will be other stuff too.  I'll figure it out as I go. Will have to report on it tomorrow.  Have to head back to work where I'll be until tomorrow morning. No internet connection for me there.
  • Welcome to the SANE family @SpringRyding
  • Thank you @Debora_SANECoach.  It looks like I need to up my protein at breakfast as 1 egg and a slice of paleo bacon doesn't add up to a protein by themselves.  Hmm.

I just found a table that breaks down the sugar content in many fruits so you can see how much fructose and metabolic fructose a fruit has.  Link: https://thepaleodiet.com/fruits-and-sugars/  Interestingly, pineapple has lower metabolic fructose than sweet cherries.  In fact, sweet cherries might not actually count as a low fructose fruit.  Watermelon has less fructose than sweet cherries.

So, last night's supper was the veggie beef casserole.  I sauteed a good-sized onion and several mushrooms.  While that was going on, I prepped other veggies: about 3 servings of Brussels sprouts, 3 servings of celery with 1/2 serving of celery leaves, 2 servings of broccoli, 2 servings of cauliflower, 4 servings of carrots, 3 servings of green beans.  Once the onions and mushrooms were done, I mixed all the veggies.  I got out a casserole dish and put about 1/2 of the veggie mix in, then crumbled about 1/2 lb. of grass fed ground beef above, sprinkled with salt and pepper and about 1 tsp. of thyme which I crushed before sprinkling on, repeat the veggie layer, then poured on about a quart of diced tomatoes including the juice, the crumbled the other 1/2 lb. of ground beef, and sprinkled salt, pepper, and thyme as before.  I'd preheated the oven to 400 F.  I covered the casserole, put it in the oven for 15 min. at 400 F. then 1 hour at 350 F. Once it came out, I sprinkled about 1 cup of shredded grass fed baby swiss cheese.  I had about 4 cups of the casserole.  I also had 1 cup of sheep yogurt with about 1/4 cup of blueberries and 1/4 cup of bing cherries mixed in.

Some time later, I went inSANE and had about 2 cups of Turkey Hill dutch chocolate ice cream.  I really need to fix myself healthier treats to have at work when I'm there overnight.  That way, at least I won't be eating a chemical laboratory when I have sweet treats.  In addition, I'd be consuming a lot less sugar.

I did manage to get home from work this morning WITHOUT stopping at some fast food joint and having a carb. fest.  I've often stopped at McD's for example getting the steak, egg, and cheese bagel without the egg. I hate commercially raised eggs.  Can't stand the taste of them, so I never order eggs in a restaurant.  I'd also get a sausage McMuffin and an order of hotcakes and sausage, and sometimes a hash brown.  Talk about sugar and starch!!  And not a single vegetable in sight.  I did, some weeks ago, manage to relocate my water thermos, so I take that in and fill it with water.  Thus, I avoided the soda the past several weeks.  I take the water thermos with me everywhere I go.  I'm puzzling about what I'm going to do for breakfast tomorrow morning.  I again work overnight.  I attend church in the morning.  I don't have enough time to go home, fix breakfast and eat it, and get back in for church.  In fact, I'd get home just in time to turn around and head back in.  I can't fix breakfast at work.  There is medicine I take in the morning on an empty stomach and I have to wait 1/2 - 1 hour before eating anything.  I have to be out of there before I could eat.  This leaves me in a quandary.  Where can I go for a decent breakfast?   Or is there something I can somehow manage to prepare in advance, but then WHERE would I eat it?  In warm weather, I could find a picnic bench somewhere, but in winter?

I really need to find my camp stove and camp dishes.  They are somewhere in the house!  Having that handy would help in the away from home meal department in decent weather.  Winter weather is another story.

Speaking of breakfast, I haven't eaten yet today.  I'm HUNGRY!!
  • Hi @SpringRyding. On Sundays I make 2 green smoothies the night before 
    (or even a few days before) and put them in a go-bag with 2 -16 oz frozen bottles of water. I am hooked on the Death by Chocolate Cake recipe on this website. I make then cupcake size. Most of the time I am too lazy to make the frosting, but they are even better with the frosting. I also keep these in the freezer and enjoy them semi-frozen. This might be a better idea for later after you have tried a few smoothies and fund the one (or a few) that is/are right for you. 

You can also sub lettuce leaves for bread in a sandwich.  I like to make tuna salad and eat it this way on occasional. Or make canned salmon, tuna, mackerel cakes ahead of time. I like them cold or hot. I also like to eat them with my hands. 

Remember progress over perfection. Take small steps to start. Swap out a veggie for a starch  each day for a week. Next week you can swap out another starch with more veggies. It is a process. A wonderful journey! Enjoy!
  • Hi @CindyMcLaughlin How long does a green smoothie stay sound and nutritious?  I'd have to fix mine on Wednesdays for use on Sunday. No blender of any sort at work, and it's too much hassle to lug my Vitamix back and forth, though I did it take it there and leave it there for a few days back in Oct. when I'd had some tooth extractions.

Ramblings and wanderings:

I love veggies. Mom could NOT understand why her little girl kept bugging her for Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and romaine lettuce.  I also love pastries and lasagna.  Dad's homemade biscuits, waffles, french toast, pancakes, bread, and crepes.  Homemade jams and jellies. I miss Daddy.

And I love prunes.  I have to be very careful with those.  I've been known to eat an entire pound of them in one sitting.  I also love dried cherries.  I can eat 6 handfuls of those in a single sitting, so I have to be careful of those.  Raisins too.

It's going to be chicken stew tonight.  I found a recipe for it online some weeks ago.  My first change was to kick out the potatoes and substitute butternut squash and add mushrooms.  The second time I fixed it, I used parsnips instead of potatoes.  There's other things I've done too.  I'm using butternut squash tonight.

I got my Xmas tree stand all cleaned up now.  The rain helped with that. :)  Just need to lug it upstairs.  Already lugged some other stuff upstairs.

I wonder why it is that I can only find 1/2 pair of my Birks.  I have several pair, most of which need new soles, but I can only find 1 shoe out of them all.  I like to have something easy to slip on that I can wear outside too, and my slippers are at work until tomorrow.

I need to get a proper storage box for my tree angel.  I'd better bring her long with me so I can look for one tomorrow.

Huh.  All the sudden, my dehumidifier is working again.  Don't have to lug it out after all.

Out of time to make goodies for tonight.  Hopefully, I can make them tomorrow or Monday.  I've got the fixings for them; I just need to make them.

• So, I wound up not eating any breakfast OR lunch yesterday.  I ran a couple errands after I left home, then stopped at Subway and got a red wrap with steak, cheese, spinach, lettuce, onion, green pepper, and black olive.  I figure this was 1 nutrient dense protien, 2 whole food fats, and perhaps a 1 non-starchy vegetable.  No idea of how many starch servings were in the wrap. I also got 3 chocolate chip cookies. I ate one then and the wrap.  One cookie I gave to my client after supper, and the third cookie I ate some time after I tucked her in.  Don't know how to log the cookies either other than they were inSANE.  Was each cookie 1 inSANE serving?

Supper was chicken stew.  Contents: chicken, onions, mushrooms, celery, carrots, butternut squash, yellow summer squash, broccoli, cauliflower, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, broth/gravy left from making baked chicken last week, and some broth/gravy left from making the veggie beef casserole on Friday.  2 combined was 2 cups.  Used 3 and a third cups of veggie broth also.  Had about 1 cup sheep yogurt with muskmelon, blueberries, and 1 black grape.
  • @SpringRyding it sounds like this may help with figuring out how to determine serving sizes. 
  • @SpringRyding To address your question from earlier:
    Hi @CindyMcLaughlin How long does a green smoothie stay sound and nutritious?  I'd have to fix mine on Wednesdays for use on Sunday. No blender of any sort at work, and it's too much hassle to lug my Vitamix back and forth, though I did it take it there and leave it there for a few days back in Oct. when I'd had some tooth extractions.
    Haha I used to lug my blender around too - I teach group fitness classes at various gyms in my city so I used to pack the blender jug with veggies and everything needed, and then find a power outlet in the gym and blend it up. The problem was, the gyms for the most part also sell smoothies and told me to stop because they didn't want me to give paying members ideas (oops...lol). As far as the nutrition and soundness of a smoothie, there is *some* degradation, but it's so minimal that it's not even worth mentioning. You'll get 100% of the benefits consuming it immediately post blend, however in a few days, you'll get about 97% of the benefits. More of the degradation come through in terms of flavour and texture than in terms of benefits. Jonathan blends up a weeks worth of green smoothies in one big batch and sips on them throughout the week. I don't have that many containers or fridge space for that kind of carry on, haha, but I might make two or three servings and have them on hand. Hope that helps :) P.S. I love how much you are getting into journalling! I've loved reading through your posts :)
  • @SpringRyding I agree with @Raina_SANECoach. I make my smoothies on Sundays which last me until Friday. I rather make them ahead and lose some nutrition than not having them at all because I didn’t have time to make them during the week.

I am not sure about the serving size for the cookie since I don’t know if 1 cookie is considered one serving of 1/2. I wouldn’t worry about it.  
  • @SpringRyding, @Raina_SANECoach & @Debora_SANECoach, I make my smoothies at one time for the week too. I don't have a lot of fridge space to I place then in 4 - 1/2-gallon glass jars. I can get 2 smoothies in each one with plenty of headroom. One goes to the fridge door. The others go in the freeze. On day 1, I use the fresh smoothie jar. I  drink one and pack one just in case.  On night 1, I take one of the frozen jars out of the freezer and place in the fridge. They need a good shake before pouring but other otherwise taste and texture are fine. 
  • Hi @CindyMcLaughlin.  Thanks for the link.  It does and has helped on a number of things.  Problem is, I eat stuff that isn't on there! Butternut squash, parsnips, spaghetti squash to name a few.  I wonder how he defines a serving of starch and a serving of sweets?

I've been inSANE diet-wise today.  I have eaten only one thing so far, a cream cheese pastry from the grocery store about 4:30 this afternoon.  Have had at least 3 glasses of water today.

Thanks @Raina_SANECoach and @Debora_SANECoach.  I do tend to be loquacious.  :) Thus far, I haven't actually logged any meals because there were elements in them I just didn't know how to log. I will have to log via the website only.  I don't have a smart phone.

From something I read, it's not possible to log a meal from the day before.  Because of my work schedule, if that's the case, every Friday and Saturday will be missing the supper meal at the minimum.

Today, I used stairs instead of the elevator.  I don't particularly enjoy stairs, but I do them a lot better than I have for a long time.  A little over 2 years ago, I had to pull myself up to my feet at the gardens using the fence.  I even did some of the stairs going down eccentrically.  Using the handrail for balance, I took one foot off the step and SLOWLY lowered it to the step.  That meant that the foot on the upper step had to hold most of my body weight for a longer time.

Last Sunday I did eccentric rows at the Y.  I felt my shoulders and my back muscles for the next 3 days.  Which meant I did it right. :) My left arm is way stronger than the right arm.  I've had a couple of shoulder injuries.  I'll be going into physical therapy soon.  I have a partial tear of the long-head bicep tendon on two sides up by the shoulder.  Everything else is fine though.

Some history: I first heard of Jonathan Bailor on Dr. Joshua Axe's website.  He had a link to a short video on the Calorie Myth.  This was in the early part of 2017.  I had previously purchased Dr. Axe's BurstFit program in Feb. of that year.  I found his site searching for something, I don't recall what.  He has a wealth of info. there.  Anyway, I viewed one of the 4 hour masterclasses in July, but could not join Ignite. In Aug. I got a preview sampling of Love Yourself Slim.  I still could not join Ignite, but in Nov. I purchased the Love Yourself Slim program.  I have found it quite useful in a lot of ways.  I credit that program for the incredible progress I've made in cleaning my house.

It was in Oct. I believe that I found The Calorie Myth at the public library.  By this point, I was about 3 months into the Diabetes Prevention Program sponsored by the CDC at the Y.  Information in THAT program is so off. An example of one of their recommendations: Instead of butter, use margarine. Instead of putting butter or margarine on your toast, use a tsp. of jam.  I was pointed out some of those problems in class.  I also showed them The Calorie Myth.  They hadn't heard of it.  I even demonstrated a lower down during the class during the exercise section.  Veggies were so scant on their sheets for tracking portions, I often ran out of space to log them for a day.  A day like today, that wouldn't happen, but a day when I really get my veggies in?

Winter was difficult, so things got sidelined.  It's hard to keep the house warm when you don't have a functioning furnace.  Chopping wood, lugging wood, feeding the fire is about all I'd have energy for.  Oh, and there was the need to go to work.  My car died in Sept. of 2017, and I've been borrowing one of my boss's cars since.  I need to get it back to him; hence, the housework scramble. At any rate, early this year, and again this summer, I was listening to the Love Yourself Slim program.  I attended another 4 hour masterclass in Jan. of 2018, but still could not join Ignite. :(

In April of this year, I started a strength training program at QuikFit Indiana which uses Adaptive Resistance Exercise machines.  And there's a strong element of eccentric exercise with it.  Sessions are 20 min. maximum a week. (There's the option to take 2 sessions a week, but I know from The Calorie Myth, that 1 was all I should need). I needed it so I could build the strength to lift my client - business expense :) .  I'm still not there, and I've had to take a hiatus due to finances.  In the meantime, I do what I can at the Y. I've already maxed out the leg press machine with both legs.  I still have room on it for each individual leg. Chest presses are out right now because of my shoulder.

I'm also doing a specific ab. exercise routine developed by a physical therapist in California. I'm still on the first routine in the set. As a result of these exercises, I have practically eliminated the back pain I'd always get when bending over.

I'm so glad that I've been able to finally join Ignite.  I have Jonathan and the folks at SANE to thank for making that possible.

And something amusing from when I was 19.  I'd gone home to my folks for the summer after my freshman year in college.  Down here, I'd been walking just about everywhere I went.  Dad had had several surgeries in my junior and senior years in high school.  By the summer of 1985, though, he had finally recovered from them all.  One day, he took me with him to the various court houses where he was filing papers etc.  He used the stairs every time.  He got ahead of me, and I was puffing and panting behind him.  Finally I said, "Dad, [i]pant, pant, pant [/i] wait for me. [i]pant, pant, pant[/i]."  He was 63; I was 19.  I note that I was quite slender at the time. He was puzzled because he know I was walking everywhere down here.  Clearly, walking gentle hills and level ground is not the same as going up stairs.

When I was in high school, my hands were actually stronger than my arms.  That is no longer the case. :)
  • CindyMcLaughlin
    edited August 2018
    @SpringRyding , mushrooms work well for me too.  I often sub out celery rough-cut and radishes in stews and casseroles that call for potatoes and/ beans. Especially chili. 
  • Huh.  I thought I was eating less carb. by getting the wrap at Subway instead of the 9 grain wheat, but it turns out that the wrap is actually MORE carb.  Rats.  Looks like about 33 grams carb. in a 6 inch 9 grain wheat and 43 grams in the red wrap.  If my calculations are correct from the info. Jonathan has posted, about 10 grams starch = 1 serving.  So, that red wrap was about 4 servings of starch. 1 cup of butternut squash would be 1 serving of starch I think.  Or would it be categorized in another way?  What about spaghetti squash?
  • Supper tonight.  Back to being SANE :) An overly generous portion of Mahi-Mahi, just shy of 2 servings going by my palm size.  I think I'll call it 2. A lovely salad made with 2 servings Romaine lettuce, 2 servings carrots, 2 servings celery, perhaps a serving of purple cabbage, and 1 serving of kalamata olives. Hmm. that = 7 servings of NSV, 2 of NDP, and 1 WFF.

I got the fish recipe quite some time ago out of The Frugal Gourmet by Jeff Smith. I dilute a bit (maximum 1 Tablespoon) of soy sauce or liquid aminos with water (about 50/50) on a plate big enough to fit the fish, put the fish in it and let it sit there a couple minutes, flip it over and let it sit a couple more minutes.  Thinly slice some lemon, or a variation I've done is lemon and lime, lay them on top of the fish which you place in a steamer.  Steam the fish about 25 minutes.  Voila, done. Some nice tasty fish without the "fishy" taste.

I think I'll actually log this meal. :)
  • @SpringRyding, I remember the Frugal Gourmet! I am going to have to "borrow" your fish recipe. Thank you.
  • My pleasure @CindyMcLaughlin

I just had some vanilla ice cream.  Not a chemical lab variety, but still lots of sugar in it.
  • @SpringRyding, just take baby steps and you will make progress.
  • Aye, I know @CindyMcLaughlin.  I think of it this way.  I can't make a step 100 feet long, I'd split in two if I tried. :p But I can make a step that's 1 foot long, and then I can make another etc. until I make the 100 feet. :)

Just had 2 servings of celery with 100% peanut peanut butter.  Yummy!

• SpringRyding
    edited August 2018
    Note to self: Limit raw veggies to 2 cups to avoid getting the runs.

Each time I've enjoyed one of those lovely huge salads lately, I've gotten the runs the next day. It used to be I could enjoy those big salads no problem.  But that was before I slid into the deepest, darkest, longest valley of my life.

I'm fine with cooked veggies; it's the raw ones in large quantity that are an issue. It may be that I need to build up specific raw veggie probiotics such as those found in kim chi and raw sauerkraut.  It may be because I'm missing a 3rd of my teeth and can't chew stuff as well as I should.  It might be both.

Was it Mungojerrie or Rumpleteazer? :p

I had 11 hours of sleep last night.
  • SpringRyding
    edited August 2018
    Finally had breakfast about 3 p.m. :p 4 cups of steamed broccoli and Brussels sprouts, 1 egg fried in coconut oil (about 1/2 tsp.), and pork sausage about 1/2 the size of my palm.  I logged this as 4 NSV and 1 WFF.

Been lugging stuff upstairs.  I have all the Xmas ornaments that were downstairs properly stored in storage boxes now.  Working on clearing everything off the piano.  Have a chiropractor appt. this afternoon and must leave soon.  Taking a tin of sardines with me, a fork, and a heap of napkins.