Gravy thickener that's not flour, xantum gum etc.

I found this in a list of various ways of thickening without flour or corn starch.  It's on a website devoted to substitute cooking.

I find it quite interesting, and I'm going to try it this weekend.

So, step 1, dice some onions or shallots.

Step 2) Sauté or stir braise them until they are soft and caramelized.  If you have a big batch of onions, do them in batches.  Once they are all caramelized, blend them or send them through your Vitamix.

Pour into pan or pot, add broth and bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until desired thickness and then add your seasonings.

Comments

• @SpringRyding sounds promising, let us know how it turns out :)
  • Let us know how you go!
  • @LouiseStrong and @Raina_SANECoach, my gravy was a success.  I made mushroom gravy this time.  It's the first time in my life I made gravy.

A couple notes, I think if I'd used 2 onions rather than one, it would have worked better.  Also, using the Vitamix rather than the blender my client has would have worked much better.  Her blender didn't get things as smooth as the Vitamix would, and I had to add quite a bit of water for it to even attempt to puree the onions.  Thinking back, I could have added broth instead of water, but I didn't have the broth with me when I did the caramelized onions.

For the broth, about 1/2 was chicken and veggie juices left from making baked chicken a couple weeks ago.  I'd saved them and put in the freezer, and the rest was a store bought veggie broth.  The chicken and veggie juices really helped with the quality of the gravy.  I'm glad I had that.  More would have been nice, but I'm glad I had as much as I did.

My client gobbled it up.  I'd fixed an eye of round steak for her seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic.  When the steak was nearly done, I put some of the gravy into the pan to warm it up and to also acquire beef flavor from cooking the steak.  I cut her meat up for her, so the steak and gravy were well mixed.  She ate the ENTIRE steak.  Lately, at most she'd eat perhaps half.
  • @SpringRyding That is BRILLIANT!  I'm so happy to hear that it was a success and that your client devoured it :love: